Here’s an update on all of the veggies. I’m also happy to report that with my last show (for a while) over and out of the way, I’ll be gardening and blogging a lot more. With temperatures on the rise & sales at the nursery on the horizon I’m sure I’ll have a lot to talk about too!!
The Radishes: The good news is that they adjusted to the “thinning” just fine and even the rows I planted in the trenches recovered well and are growing just fine. The bad news is the birds ran out of olives after we raked last weekend and took out the first row of seedlings. I think we’re about 10 days away from our first harvest!!
The Carrots: As it turns out, the carrots seeds I thought I killed with my watering by osmosis experiment, came up! Just as the package would have suggested too, If you know me its not a surprise… patience is not something I excel at. We still have a while to go, I haven’t even thinned them yet… But I was pleasantly surprised to see that this method of watering worked even with seeds.
NEW!! Eggplant & Onions: Just this weekend my sweet nice husband surprised me with $60 to do what I wanted with in the garden! I took (his) hard earned money to STAR Nursery this time, to see if the prices were any cheaper (they were). I picked up a bunch of veggies… ‘Black Beauty’ Eggplant and some Green Onions are what I planted here.
Tomatoes, Lettuce & NEW!! Corn: Well you can see that planting the tomatoes the 2nd weekend in March didn’t do them any harm… even though we did get a little freeze after they were in the ground. All varieties are thriving, the only one that seems to be struggling is the Roma (my hound dog got at it), but even it’s still doing well.
Also, I added some ‘Yellow Pear’ Tomatoes this weekend and ‘White’ Corn stalks against the wall… more for Gadzuki’s amusement than anything.
NEW!! Squash, Zucchini & Peppers: Last weekend we removed a HUGE planter from the patio and moved it over by the tomatoes. This weekend I cleaned it out and planted. Thats why the majority of my budget at STAR Nursery went to mulch & soil. But I did manage to pick up some ‘Yellow’ Squash, ‘Italian’ Zucchini, ‘Japanese’ Cucumbers, and ‘Armenian’ Cucumbers for the bottom level. My idea is that they can climb over the edge and down to the ground. And on top we have ‘Yellow’ Bells, ‘Anaheim’ Chiles, ‘Green’ Bells and Jalapenos.
Some exciting news!! One of my gardens is going to be photographed for a local magazine this week AND one of the students from Mrs Henderson’s Science class got so excited about my compost that she’s started her very own!!
Next: We’ll check in on the seedlings I started in the garage and later in the week we’ll get an official temperature on the compost!
Today I decided to “Prune” the garden if you will…
At home floral design! I started with a small ceramic red rectangle vase I got at the Salvation Army a few weeks ago ($2.00). Filled it with water and a touch of lemon lime soda (my grandmothers trick for extending the life of your flowers… you can also use a little sugar).
I added: Pittosporum and Ivy from the back yard.
Then added Daisies & Snapdragons from the front yard.
And last I added Ranunculus, Delphinium, Moxie and a couple Marigolds from the bird bath garden.
Can’t wait until the Roses start blooming…